- This event has passed.
Mars-di-Gras @ Adler Planetarium
2ND ANNUAL MARS-DI-GRAS!
February 25 & 26
9:30 am–4:00 pm
Dust off your spacesuit. It’s time to celebrate Mars-di Gras!
While the commonly-known Earthly festivities of Mardi Gras bring street festivals, masquerades, merriment, and lots of colorful beads to cities around the world, the Adler takes the festivities one giant step forward—TO SPACE!
We’re saying goodbye to Earth and heading to Mars for an out-of-this-world event. Following the success of last year’s inaugural event, the Adler super krewe is organizing another Mars-di Gras extravaganza.
Once again, we will bring the beads, band, and the science to this carnival of fun. You’ll be transported to the Red Planet, masquerade as the first Martians and experience first-hand what it would be like to live, work, and play on Mars.
- Martian Masquerade: What might a Martian look like? What might a Martian in disguise look like? Design and decorate your own Martian mask to wear in our Mars-di Gras parade!
- The Magnificent Mars Glider Mission: Engineer and test your own Mars glider. Can you land it on the surface of Mars?
- Red Planet Race: “suit up” and race through a Martian obstacle course
- See It To Believe It: grab some 3D glasses to view a huge landscape of Mars, plus drop by our Space Visualization Lab to see other Mars-imaging
- Dare to Compare Bean Bag Toss with bags weighted specifically for Earth and Mars
- The Great Crater Drop Challenge: how wide, deep, or impactful of a crater can you create?
- Mars Encounter: do hands-on science with a Mars specialist from the Jet Propulsion Lab
- Rover Robotics: program your Rover to move around Mars
- And more!
Let the good times rove. You don’t want to miss this special mission to Mars!